Hospice of Visiting Nurse Service (Hospice & Palliative Care)
Our Wish List
Visiting Nurse Service is seeking volunteers to fulfill a variety of needs, as well as donations of personal care, craft and entertainment items for hospice patients.
The following types of volunteers are needed at the Justin T. Rogers Hospice Care Center on Ridgewood Road in Copley.
- Veterans to assist with our "We Honor Veterans" program - pinning ceremonies and knitting or crocheting red, white and blue lap blankets
- Volunteers to help in the gardens (April through October)
- Volunteers to assist with clerical/administrative work
- Reception desk volunteers
- Life Legacy / Storyboard volunteers
- Musicians to play or sing music
- Therapy dogs for Hospice's Caring Canines pet therapy program
- Licensed barbers, stylists and nail technicians to provide complimentary services to patients
- Volunteers to assist with annual fundraising campaigns Joyful Tastes of Life and Light Up A Life
- Sewers to make neck pillows, adult protective covers, catheter covers and walker bags
- Volunteers to arrange flowers
- Donations for the family kitchen- Effective March 1, 2017, only pre-packaged foods will be accepted and items must include a list of food ingredients, Best If Used By Date and be able to be kept at room temperature. Examples include granola bars, instant oatmeal packets, fruit cups, peanut butter or cheese crackers, pretzels, snack cakes, individually wrapped candies or candy bars, apples, bananas and oranges.
Visiting Nurse Service is also seeking donations of the following items: books on CD, music CDs, CD players with headphones, family-friendly DVDs, personal stationery, journals, children's books, children's coloring books, art supplies, colored paper, card stock (all colors, especially white) large-print books, bulletin board supplies, daily diaries, personal care items, neck pillows and small positioning pillows.
Monetary donations are also welcome and can be accepted online. DONATION FORM or mailed to Visiting Nurse Service, 3358 Ridgewood Road, Akron, OH 44333. Checks should be made payable to Akron General Foundation. For more information on volunteering, please call Chris Hinman, Manager of Volunteer Services, at 330.668.4650 or 800.335.1455, Ext. 4650.
Date Updated: 07-FEB-2017